MuseumCamp is amazing, but there are two issues that come up every January when we announce the new session:
- The application process is very competitive, and hundreds of people end up being rejected or waitlisted. This is agonizing for everyone involved.
- Some people want an outcome-oriented training (as opposed to a community co-created summer camp).
- COMMUNITY PARTICIPATION BOOTCAMP, June 7-8, 2018. This new, experimental training is a hands-on deep dive into the MAH’s model. You will learn the theory and practice of how to open your organization to robust community participation. This bootcamp will be led by me, Nina Simon, MAH executive director. Registration is first come, first served. Learn more and register here.
- MUSEUMCAMP REUNION EDITION, August 15-17, 2018. This retreat is all about learning from each other. Come share your projects, challenges, questions, wild successes and epic failures with creative changemakers from around the world. 2018 MuseumCamp spots are offered first to MuseumCamp alumni. If additional spots are available, we will make an application process available in April 2018. Learn more here.
More about Community Participation Bootcamp
We're offering Community Participation Bootcamp as part of a broader exploration of ways the MAH might share our model with others. I've learned a lot from attending and teaching workshops this year. I'm excited to share the MAH's community-first model and to invite you to this in-depth, immersive learning experience.
Come to this two-day bootcamp to:
- Articulate your goals for community participation at your organization.
- Map your community’s assets and needs and how they align with your goals.
- Get a crash course in social capital theory and ways of measuring community participation.
- Develop compelling, powerful participatory offers and promises for your prospective partners.
- Gain new community participation tools you can take home and adapt to your organization.
- Connect with diverse colleagues who can help you as you continue your journey.
- Tour MAH participatory exhibitions and shadow MAH community events.
- Get inspired, laugh out loud, and share honest lessons from the messy, joyful world of community participation.
Bootcamp is for working professionals seeking to implement community participation in your organization or program. While we will tour some of the MAH’s participatory programs and exhibitions, this bootcamp is not museum-centric. We welcome campers from diverse community, civic, and cultural sites. Our first registrants for Bootcamp are from a library and a religious institution. We'd love to have you here for this pilot year.
Want to support these events?
While our camps have a registration cost, we work with sponsors to underwrite camper scholarships. Most sponsors are generous former campers or amazing companies serving museums, libraries, performing arts organizations, and grassroots community organizations. If you are interested in helping provide financial aid for one of these amazing events, you'll be in good company. Thanks in advance for considering it.