Saturday, February 09, 2008

Upcoming Bay Area Event on Museums and Civic Discourse


Next month, JFKU will be hosting a day-long session on Museums and Civic Discourse in Berkeley, CA (see flyer above).

The event is organized around the recent issue of the journal Museums and Social Issues on the same topic, and will feature both formal lectures and small group discussions. I’ll be speaking briefly about the role of civic discourse in Web 2.0, and several other authors from the journal will be speaking as well.

I’m getting more interested in this topic in a practical way as my current day job includes a hefty dose of online community management and support for discourse and creative engagement with museums by random folks. I have a lot to learn about how to be a good listener, a good cheerleader, and how to provide meaningful platforms for engagement. Hopefully March 8 will answer a few of the questions I’m struggling with, as well as yours.

There are still some open spots if you would like to attend (see flyer for info on registration). This should be a lively and provocative day—the subject matter necessitates a certain level of, well, discourse.

On a different note, I will be totally offline until Feb. 14 rock-climbing in Joshua Tree. So don’t feel that I’m unwilling to engage in discourse if I don’t respond to your comments before then… have a great week!

0 comments, add yours!: